Rose the Witch
Now, bear with me again. This is one of those theories that you think of when you’re first reading the comic, then say “nahhh, that’s stupid” as a speculator and in the face of evidence, ‘obvious’ness… but now that we have a gigantic pile of empirical role-framework to use to understand Homestuck, we can finally take a second look and say “hmmm”.
Recall the role table I theorized a while ago:
- Purpose - Active - Passive
- — Standard Classes —
- Know - Mage - Seer
- Change - Witch - Heir
- Create - Maid - Sylph
- Destroy - Prince - Bard
- Steal - Thief - Rogue
- Exploit - Knight - Page
- — Master Classes —
- Embody(?) - Lord - Muse
And the aspect duality theory, too:
- LIFE and DOOM
- LIGHT and VOID
- SPACE and TIME
- HEART and MIND
- BREATH and BLOOD
- HOPE and RAGE
Rose inverted her role, wielding the Void aspect in lieu of Light. LilDurandal has a post on this, and so did AhPoorDogsbody (though I can’t find his) about all the void symbolism; it’s clear, blatant, almost spelled out by UU, and those who’ve been following me have seen me reference it often. It’s evidence of clear dichotomies between aspects, and future inversions to come.
Pictured above is the page immediately after “Seer: Ask.”, where Rose goes fully grimdark. Not only is there obfuscation we now associate with Void, but note: Why did Andrew cut to Kanaya re-viewing this in this manner, for only two pages before cutting back to Rose? To show the above symbolism, Kanaya viewing Rose through the cracked dark shades of a Hero of Void!
UU: player abilities may also manifest in ways in defiance with their aspects if they are heavily resistant to their trUe calling. or, if corrUpted in some way by an oUtside inflUence.
TT: And while I’m at it, I should discard these useless wands, because apparently the power was in my little black heart all along. Is that right?
Furthermore, while Grimdark, Rose’s text was garbled into faux-Lovecraftian incomprehensibility… much like Roxy’s text is littered with typos and often difficult to understand while she submits to alcohol. This is because Void is the aspect which obfuscates information!
(In fact, the Horrorterrors might only have been tangentially involved in her power! Skaia embodies Light and the Horrorterrors embody Void; when Doc tricked Rose into asking what the Horrorterrors’ motives were, the cueball might have answered literally with raw “VOID”, plunging her into the wellspring of her own inverted abilities!)
But what if aspects aren’t the only role elements with dichotomies?
Destroy/Create is an obvious dichotomy, the male class subtracting from/using their aspect, while the female class uses theirs to add, repair, and heal. But the others follow dichotomies, too:
Steal/Exploit makes a great deal of sense. The Exploit classes, like the Knight, make the very most of the limited amount of their aspect they have (or encourage others to do the same). The classes that ‘Steal’ are much less about use, and more about redistribution, moving amounts and levels of the aspect from place to place and person to person!
And for the last pair, I’m going to do something unusual and quote something called - heh - the Serenity Prayer:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
To understand your aspect and to control and change it could be said to be a dichotomy. Analyzing it on paper on a broad scale, as opposed to getting your hands dirty in a specific instance. Hence, we have Know/Change.
The point is that what happened to Rose doesn’t add up on its own.
The Seer is a passive class who leverages a comprehensive understanding of their aspect. When Rose went grimdark, she was neither passive nor understanding. The opposite, in fact.
UU: for instance, a hero of life and a hero of doom have aspects as different as can be.
UU: bUt if their classes are different enoUgh as well, that is, one active and the other passive, remarkably there is a chance they coUld end Up with very similar abilities!
So was it the aspect alone that was inverted? What else changed? Rose’s weaponized, aggressive Void-assaulting demeanor was that of the opposite of a Seer, understanding traded for power. An active “understanding” class, like a Mage, would have operated on comprehension of Void, not simply slung it around, right?
So what if
the answer has been
under our noses
- Know - Mage - Seer
- Change - Witch - Heir
If Rose inverted along the active/passive designation and the class purpose dichotomy, along with her aspect…
It’d make her akin to a Witch of Void! :)
(Art source: Track art for Rustless Fall)
NEXT: Read the follow-up post, Jade the Seer!
- insufferableoracle likes this
- roxydothevoidything likes this
- aallora likes this
- roseyanon likes this
- jainelys likes this
- joustinglance likes this
- trerezi reblogged this from mandorf603
- blaze7071 likes this
- mega-sassypansexualfriend reblogged this from bladekindeyewear
- people-who-do-things reblogged this from bladekindeyewear
- people-who-do-things likes this
- mega-sassypansexualfriend likes this
- adventurerfan likes this
- karahkoala likes this
- epsilon-poison reblogged this from bladekindeyewear
- epsilon-poison likes this
- ceruleaninterrogative likes this
- dayknight likes this
- nerdylovernr1hitomi reblogged this from bladekindeyewear
- nerdylovernr1hitomi likes this
- thestalebread reblogged this from bladekindeyewear and added:
- thebesttangoalphacheesecakeguy reblogged this from bladekindeyewear
- turntechdemigod likes this
- gavinisastrider likes this
- mandorf603 reblogged this from bladekindeyewear
- mandorf603 likes this
- temporal4dventurer likes this
- wizardpunch likes this
- mery-strider-egbert likes this
- queen-of-hearts92 likes this
- bearsthethird reblogged this from bladekindeyewear
- bearsthethird likes this
- allthestridersaremine likes this
- the-delirious-sailing-quagmire likes this
- increasingly-grim likes this
- serapheh likes this
- foxoverlord likes this
- 5oundthealarm likes this
- that-one-homestuck-blog reblogged this from bladekindeyewear
- sourpatchallyisnotapirate likes this
- stuffnanigans likes this
- extremesalsaing reblogged this from bladekindeyewear and added:
- littlestmedic likes this
- skips-dablam likes this
- roastedm likes this
- sockpunk likes this
- hurtbyescapingraindrops reblogged this from bladekindeyewear
- psychos-of-mineral-town likes this
- szelmowski-prince likes this
- everlyhappyafter likes this