We quite recently saw the Page god-tier uniform:
If you’ll notice, Tavros is basically dressed like Robin. Makes you think that perhaps Page is indeed the passive counterpart of the (dark) Knight after all.
So, from a number of different sources, concepts and ideas, I finally have a complete, good-feeling guess as to the final role layout/pairings, and their associated purposes.
Here we are:
- Purpose - Active - Passive
- — Standard Classes —
- Know - Mage - Seer
- Change -
Witch - Maid| Witch - Heir
- Destroy - Prince - Bard
- Steal - Thief - Rogue
- Create(/Repair) -
Sylph - Heir| Maid - Sylph
- Exploit - Knight - Page
- — Master Classes —
- Embody - Lord - Muse
EDIT 2013.01.21 - It’s a bit old, but a while ago I summed up almost all the reasoning for my choices - and the gaps I filled that can be most easily rearranged - in this forum post!!!
Males would own a monopoly on Destroying and Exploiting; Females would own a monopoly on Stealing and Repairing(/Creating). (EDIT: yes i know the gender info is out of date what did you expect did you see how old this post is) Both of these choices make some sense. Then, the broadly applicable classes that Know and Change are split between males and females: for Knowers, the males are active, and for Changers, the females are active. A balanced 3:3-3:3 active/passive split.
There are three passive and three active classes per gender among the standard classes, the way it works out here.
The purpose of a role is to be performed both to and through its aspect:
"One who <purpose>s and <purposes> through <aspect>."
So, a Witch of Space, a class associated with Changing and manipulating, would be:
"One who manipulates Space and manipulates through Space."
One of the clearest ways we’ve been given to assess the difference between Active and Passive classes, though it was merely implied, is that active classes’ ability use seems driven through and for that player’s own will, whereas for a passive class it’s more as if driven by the will of the aspect itself.
So, think about it this way, when you say someone’s title: If you’re an active class, say, the Witch of Space, you can sound it out as if said Witch 'owns' Space.
But with passive classes, driven somewhat by the will and whim of the aspect, think of it more like the aspect ‘owns’ the class. So, when you hear Maid of Time and Bard of Rage (assuming Maid’s passive), it helps to switch them around and instead think of them like this: Time’s Maid. Rage’s Bard. Hope’s Page.
That really helps you understand the motivation and operation of those classes, especially if you think of what they’ve done in the plot. And how the “Embody” purpose of master classes can take a very different form in the Lord of Time as opposed to Space’s Muse.
EDIT: Our concept of broadly-manipulating god-tiers, ones who have the power to visibly shift Breath or Space at whim, is based on the intentionally introduced bias of mainly showing us the abilities of those who Change/Manipulate. The abilities of other god-tiers could be pervasively less visible and more obscure, like Vriska’s luck-stealing (mainly depicted through surplus visual aids), her luck stockpile’s continuous benefits, and Seers’ knowledge.
EDIT2: It could be noted that the Repair roles could also be equated with the ability to Create. In other words, a Create/Destroy dichotomy between the genders. In this situation, the Sylph uses her ability to create mainly in order to mend the damaged, while the active Maid is more likely to create outright. In other words, the Maid of Time can make time! That definition(/pun) certainly embodies what Aradia did with all those doomed timelines and clones.
I’m not going to justify the choices I made in that list right here (or the subtle evidence from Hussie’s tweets and stuff that I’m referring to), because I don’t feel like wasting your time for six fuckall pages. But, there you have it! My guesses. :D
(Addendum 2012.10.18: There is some evidence that classes invert along with roles.)
- annabelle1051 likes this
- neuphie likes this
- timelordoftime likes this
- mutestargazer likes this
- skyeraid likes this
- yuriyxdreyar likes this
- thedawncatcher likes this
- iam-rainbowequinox likes this
- voidkincecil likes this
- heckiehound reblogged this from bladekindeyewear
- javelluciform reblogged this from bladekindeyewear
- fletcher612 likes this
- honeysweetiepie likes this
- pawsofjustice likes this
- yenfae reblogged this from bladekindeyewear
- shimoebu reblogged this from natelegreat114
- shimoebu likes this
- natelegreat114 reblogged this from bladekindeyewear
- thedukelady likes this
- unlivingpoet likes this
- nightshadow112 likes this
- broomclosetdustbunny likes this
- that-superwholockstuck-fangirl likes this
- thenonymous1 likes this
- dragon-pearls likes this
- the-llamapaca likes this
- amakarasmaraca likes this
- colbysheep likes this
- misteryninja likes this
- slowdancingtimelady likes this
- gamer-of-many-colors reblogged this from homestuck-arts
- shamcool likes this
- articulatephantom likes this
- thefandomperson reblogged this from homestuck-arts
- thefandomperson likes this
- inventiveparadox likes this
- inventiveparadox reblogged this from homestuck-arts
- aperture-chell likes this
- apathetictriumph likes this
- queenofdaleks likes this
- theqimera likes this
- turntechtrickstergod reblogged this from homestuck-arts
- turntechtrickstergod likes this
- iamgermanandstuff reblogged this from homestuck-arts
- iamgermanandstuff likes this
- deathskitten likes this
- visguard24 reblogged this from homestuck-arts
- makara-senpai likes this
- akumaasylum reblogged this from homestuck-arts
- sylphofheart1 reblogged this from homestuck-arts